Jersey Cape Kayak Fishing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jersey Cape Kayak Fishing

A SOUTHERN NJ FORUM FOR LOCAL KAYAK FISHING AND INFO

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
The Kayak Fishing Store ..........501 Ocean Drive, North Wildwood, NJ......... The largest selection of accessories in Southern NJ!!!!!!! ......................www.TheKayakFishingStore.com ..............609.522.5969.....................
The Kayak Fishing Store
Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  The-ka11
JCKF Traffic Admin
Certified Site

Website Builder

Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mullet miller
Admin
mullet miller

Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  Empty
PostSubject: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm trying to see if there will be any interest in attending a Kayak Jamboree this spring to fish the Susquehanna Flats. I'm looking to get something together for Mid-April. The way this weather has been, and hoping it remains this way through the remainder of the season, could make for a really good spring catch and release season here. The lack/small amount of snowfall, and hopes for a fairly dry spring should keep the spill gates from being opened en mass and for far shorter periods of time. What's this mean, it means far better conditions on the flats for the big girls to come up to and spawn, and hang around a little. All this could add up to some really great fishing with artificials on top and on the troll.

I have a camp ground in mind near Perryville Maryland that has water access on the North East River, which is an in bounds area, as well as being real close to several other good launches on the Upper Flats.

I may try and set up with a charitable organization to help raise a little cash for them, I'm waiting on a call back on that now.

With that said, what are you thoughts? I'm willing to put all the effort into this and try and get up an early season get together for us all. Either way, I'm going to be fishing the Flats and encouraging all who have never fished here to come give it a try.

I have a poll running in the Kayak Forum at Stripers Online, please check it out.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
SJ Fish Whisperer
Admin
SJ Fish Whisperer

Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 7:41 am

I are interested! Always down for a Jamboree.

Bob, feel free to post your links here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thekayakfishingstore.com
yaknfool

yaknfool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:48 am

Big fish on topwater? I think I'd like to give that a shot. Bob, could I get away with fishing out of a 'sit in' there or would I need my sot? I saw some pics of the area and it looked like big water. Are there places to hide from the wind that hold fish? I'll try to get Gary and joe involved. Thanks, Larry
Back to top Go down
SJ Fish Whisperer
Admin
SJ Fish Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:02 am

I defer to Bob too, but last time we were there we were beat up by HEAVY winds and I think 14 spill gates being open. It was brutal to say the least! I would think that those were among the worst conditions and a SIK would have been ok in my opinion. Some very shallow areas, but no biggie. This is shaping up to be a great event judging by the PM's and emails flying around right now!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SeaFlea

SeaFlea

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Awww, come on Chris... Don't bad-mouth the area just 'cause you froze yer butt off on Friday night!!
Remember all the fun we had holding down the tarp and dodging the lightening during the thunderstorms???!!!?? My god man! Most people would have to drive 8 hours up to Winter Island to experience those conditions and this place is practically around the corner!!!

Bawby, get some dates together let's see if I can get down there again!!!

Chal
Back to top Go down
yaknfool

yaknfool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks Chris. Are there any 'plan b' fisheries we should be prepared for? I could bring some asians down if there is tog structure nearby. Or is this a sweetwater thing?
Back to top Go down
SJ Fish Whisperer
Admin
SJ Fish Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

The area we fish has a high if not all fresh water influence. Stripers, catfish, yellow perch, etc in the area. The Stripers go 40 lbs easy because they are spawning. Its important to be very careful with the females and there are hook restrictions too. The fishing is excellent and its an easy run for us all too!
Back to top Go down
mullet miller
Admin
mullet miller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Sorry for the delay Larry...

It is mostly open water unless you stick close to shore. there are a a couple small "coves" you can get into, but the bigger fish are usually out in the middle of the flats. The are "ditches" and holes that hold the fish interlaced through the center, and both edges are encirled by the main channels that run 20-50 foot deep. As far as alternate fish, you can chase LMB, carp, cats, shad, as well as the stripers.

It is a big body of water, and you can cover a lot of miles in a day looking for the fish, 10+ mile days are the norm, 20+ are not unheard of. What ever boat you're comfy in will work, I used to fish it out of a full fledge expedition touring yak, and have fished with a bunch of folks in Pungo 120's (I've seen more of them on the flats than any where.)

Lures of choice are Bass Assassins, Sluggo's. and such for trolling. Think herring for color selection, (albino, white, chartruse for dirty....)Poppers are a must, Smack Its and Knuckleheads are very popular, and I've done well on a selection outta my surf bag. I like taking big Pikies out there as well, the largest gurl I ever hooked was on a big ol pink pikie style lure. Don't forget the T&W If ya can get real sandworms, bring em, but the gulp works just as well.

I'm looking to shoot for the weekend of April 12th or if that is no good the 27th (leaning towards the 12th)

Just to give you my opinion on the fishery, it is the prespawn/spawn and these are the major portion of the stripers biomass, please remember to handle the big gurls extra gentle, I prefer to unhook them in the water rather than bring them on board when out there alone (never was set up for hero shots). If you have someone to get a quick photo please get them back in the water as fast as possible. If you fish T&W crush the barb if you can, they are really strict about hooks with bait (circles required for cut/live bait.)

I hope you guys make it down. Keep your fingers crossed that the rest of this winter stays mild, it could mean a really hot spring on the water!
Back to top Go down
yaknfool

yaknfool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Solid info Bob, thanks. I'm really a one trick pony, but that one trick is walking the dog with a big xwalk or spook, so I'm stoked to come down! Two hours and forty five minutes, according to mapquest. The topwater bite by me is usually first light to maybe an hour after sunrise. Is it similar there? Looking foward to fishing with everyone.
Back to top Go down
mullet miller
Admin
mullet miller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 pm

It all depends....

I've found overcast days usually to be the best for a really good bite on top, bright sunny days the troll is usually the best. But yes, daybreak is usually the best to happen on good top action.

Night Time can be something else though, with the water pretty much empty of all the yahoos in boats, but then it turns into more of a troll/swimmer bite. Had a buddy I used to fish alot with swear by Rapala X-Raps in the dark...
Back to top Go down
yaknfool

yaknfool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks again Bob. Hope I can join you when they start running
Back to top Go down
mullet miller
Admin
mullet miller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:18 pm

OK, I'm going to put the date of the Jamboree in stone, April 12th through the 15th.

I'm looking into setting things up at Susquehanna State Park, which can be found here....http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/susquehanna.asp. I'm going to call the park tomorrow and ask a few questions about setting up base camp there.

They have cabins, tent and RV sites, are located on the Susquehanna River at Lapidum, which is the northernmost boundary of the C&R area. Check the site out for rates.

I don't know if I'm going to try and tie this with any charity fund raising at this time, I've been trying to get approval with HOW, but things are moving slow. Maybe next year. So for now, I'm going to get some cost together on catering and might have to pay for a pavilion at the campground so we can keep it under one roof. I'm going to talk to a couple friends who do Pig Roast and see what we can come up with for a dinner for Saturday night.

More to come, so stay tuned.....
Back to top Go down
SJ Fish Whisperer
Admin
SJ Fish Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:24 pm

This is going to be a blast!
Back to top Go down
mullet miller
Admin
mullet miller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 5:32 am

I'm moving forward with info gathering as well as a charity. I've signed an agreement with Heroes On The Water and am in contact with several sponsors now as well as the campground. I will be updating this by tomorrow with a lot more info.

More to come!
Back to top Go down
Dragon Wrasse

PostSubject: Can Canadians participate in this event   Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Hey Guys

Rob from Canada

My buddy Eric and I are considering coming down from Ottawa Canada to do some fishing for Stripers.

We have particiapted and still do in the NEKF Striper Shootout and the JBay charity tournament and would like to add this to our belts

Takes about 9 hours to get down

as mentioned hopefully the weather holds

is it a good fishery?? Is there potential to catch lots of stripers??

If you can get back to me that would be much appreciated

will bring some Canadian beers down EH!

Cheers

Rob
Back to top Go down
SJ Fish Whisperer
Admin
SJ Fish Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 6:22 am

Hey Rob it would be great to see you guys. BRING MILK!!! LOL

The event is scheduled for when Striper fishing is usually very good, but last year they were almost completely absent. I'd be happy to give you fellas fishing reports leading up to the Jamboree. We usually have Weakfish, Striper, Fluke and Tautog super thick by mid October.
Back to top Go down
mullet miller
Admin
mullet miller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 5:53 pm

You have to bring the milk!

Rob, I'm not going to pull the wool over you eyes. The past couple of years have been tough at best on the Flats. The harsh winters and extremely wet springs really washed the Susquehanna River out and caused the flood gates at the Conowingo Dam to be opened in record numbers for extended periods.

The way things are going this year is promising. The lack of snow and smaller amounts of rain through the whole Susky water shed, which almost reaches you guys up in the Great White North, should make for better conditions this spring. I understand the distance you will have to travel and will keep you updated as the season opens up this year as to how things look.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?    Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone interested in a Kayak Jamboree for the Susquehanna Catch and Release Season?
Page 1 of 1